Being in an automobile accident in Chicago can unlock a floodgate of emotions. Fear, anger, panic and disbelief are all common in the seconds after being struck by another vehicle. These emotions, in addition to any injuries sustained, can cause individuals to say things they otherwise would never say after such an accident. However, it is extremely important and beneficial to keep one's comments to a minimum in the moments after an accident.
Under Illinois law, statements made at the same time as, or immediately after, an event such as an auto accident are often admissible in court and can be used as evidence against you. As a result, in cases that proceed to trial, a jury is likely to hear the first few words a person utters after being in an accident. It is extremely important to choose those words carefully. Below is a helpful list of "dos" and "don't" should you find yourself in this situation.
- Examine yourself and others in the vehicle to determine if anyone is seriously injured.
- Obtain the insurance information of the other driver.
- Contact local law enforcement.
- Contact emergency medical services if someone is injured.
- Get the names of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Try to remain calm.
- Apologize for getting in an accident - Insurance companies often attempt to portray a post-accident apology as an admission of fault.
- Exit the automobile at all if you fear you are injured.
- Make any statements about the accident to anyone other than emergency personnel.
- Lose self-control. Remaining calm is the best way to stay in control of your emotions in a stressful situation.
If you have been injured in a car accident, you should contact a Chicago car accident attorney as soon as possible to make sure that your rights are protected. As Illinois' largest personal injury & workers' compensation law firm, Goldberg Weisman Cairo has the resources, reputation, and the results needed to make sure you are fairly compensated for any injuries you have sustained as a result of an accident. To speak to an expert accident attorney in Illinois, contact our office today for a free consultation. We can be reached at 800-486-1002, or you can click here to chat online with an operator 24/7.