GWC Injury Lawyers LLC is a proud sponsor of the Women’s Bar Association of Illinois’ 22nd Annual Judicial Reception, which will take place from 12:00 to 1:30 p.m. on March 5, 2021.
The WBAI’s Judicial Reception is a yearly gathering dedicated to honoring the Illinois judiciary. The event is going to be held virtually this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Five judges will be awarded the 2021 Hon. Mary Heftel Hooton Award, named after a pioneering female jurist who served as President of the WBAI from 1976 to 1977. The recipients include:
- Hon. Jorge Alonso of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois;
- Hon. Mary Ellen Coghlan of the Illinois Appellate Court, First District, Second Division;
- Hon. Anna Helen Demacopoulos of the Cook County Circuit Court, Chancery Division;
- Hon. Chris Lawler of the Cook County Circuit Court, Law Division, Motion Section; and
- Hon. Rena Van Tine of the Cook County Circuit Court, Law Division, Trial Section.
First established in 1914 by nine female attorneys practicing in the Chicago Metropolitan area, the WBAI is one of the oldest and largest bar associations in the state. It was founded to promote the welfare and interests of women lawyers and to aid in enacting legislation for the common good and the administration of justice. Since its inception, the WBAI has divided its activities between controversial social and political issues and helping its members obtain employment. It was also one of the first minority bar associations to extend its membership to males.<< BACK TO BLOG POSTS