Truck accidents cause over 130,000 injuries in the United States each year, many of them extreme: brain damage, paralysis, loss of limbs, and even death. Approximately 5,000 American truck crashes end in death annually, but even non-fatal truck injuries can be devastating physically, emotionally, and financially.
At GWC Injury Lawyers, this is something we know all too well. For over four decades, the Rockford truck accident lawyers at GWC have helped thousands of injured people get the most financial compensation possible. Our family of semi-trailer injury attorneys will stop at nothing to help you get your life back on track if you have been in a truck accident. It is not just our profession but also our passion to get you the justice you deserve.
We have recovered more than $2 billion for our clients at GWC, so we think our record speaks for itself. Many clients agree. In fact, they often recommend GWC to their friends and family because they have seen firsthand how dedicated our Rockford truck accident lawyers were when working on their own cases.
To schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation with an attorney if you have been injured in a truck accident, contact GWC today. Call our office at (312) 464-1234 or click here to chat with a representative at any time.
Common Causes Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can happen for a number of reasons, but the unique design and usage of commercial trucks make them especially susceptible to certain risks. Common causes of truck accidents may include the following:
- Wide Turning – Trucks typically need additional room when turning. Often, a truck driver may use more than one lane of traffic when making a turn, and the truck may end up crushing unsuspecting passenger vehicles in the process.
- Longer Stopping Time – Trucks usually need more time to stop than smaller vehicles, which can lead to devastating rear-end crashes.
- Jackknifing – Semi-trailers can jackknife when their loads shift as they come to a sudden stop. If they do, nearby vehicles may find it difficult to avoid colliding with them.
- Rollovers – The way in which weight is distributed inside a truck and the truck’s size can create unstable conditions, making trucks uniquely vulnerable to rollovers. When a truck rollover happens, it can inflict serious injuries on any motorist coming into contact with the truck.
- Improperly Secured Loads – If cargo loads or truck equipment are improperly secured, they may shift or fall from the truck, putting dangerous debris in the path of other vehicles.
- Blowouts – If the tire tread on a truck becomes old or worn, a blowout can happen that may cause the truck to flip, fishtail, go airborne, roll over, or stop abruptly, inflicting significant damage on others.
- Tiredness – Falling asleep while driving is a concern for any motorist. When this happens to the driver of a large truck, catastrophic injuries may follow. Given the amount of time they spend driving, commercial truck drivers typically sleep less than other drivers – roughly 4.8 hours per night, according to one study – so they are more prone to tiredness, which can place them and others on the road in danger.
- Substance Abuse – Because of their long driving hours and the corresponding tiredness, truck drivers often take stimulants to stay awake. The short bursts of energy they may get from these stimulants are all too often followed by sudden “crashes” – both in energy and on the highway.
Because of the frequency of truck accidents and the severity of the injuries they may leave in their wake, truck accident victims need somebody to fight for them. At GWC, we will do everything we can, both inside and outside of the courtroom, to maximize your settlement or verdict. To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a Rockford truck accident lawyer, call us at (312) 464-1234 or click here to chat with a representative.
Call GWC toll-free
Live Chat available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.