The average age of vehicles on the road in 2014 was 11.4 years, an all-time high. Though cheaper, older vehicles are not as safe as newer models that come standard with enhanced safety measures.
Data from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) shows that new technology has made new vehicles dramatically safer than older cars. Some of the latest technology in newer vehicles includes:
- Adaptive cruise control with laser and radar sensor systems, which adjust speed for following distance.
- Automatic warning and braking. Cameras and radars alert drives to potential collisions and can even hit the brakes. Hazard alerts reduce accident risk by 7 percent and automatic braking by 14 percent.
- Lane departure warnings help drivers stay in their lane. Many cars set off alerts when drivers begin to drift left or right.
- Adaptive headlights that pivot with the steering wheel give drivers added visibility.
- Blind-spot alerts and back-up sensors or cameras detect objects in drivers blind spots or rear with cameras and sensors. They also help drivers park and reverse without damaging other objects or vehicles.
- Tire pressure monitoring systems are helpful in preventing tire blowouts and can even help with gas mileage.
Statistics show that this new and developing technology saves lives. According to the IIHS, there were 7,700 fewer driver deaths in 2012 alone than there would have been in 1985, had vehicles remained the same.
However, all of the new technology being added to vehicles can be overwhelming. Studies have reported that about 40 percent of vehicle owners have reported their vehicle acting in unexpected ways.
In an effort to combat the learning curve with new vehicles, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration created MyCarDoesWhat.org to help educate motorists about their vehicles safety technologies and how to use them safely.
As important as these new safety features are, accidents do still happen. If you or a loved one is injured in a car crash, the auto accident lawyers at GWC Injury Lawyers can help you get the compensation you need.