People who have been hurt because of somebody else’s negligence frequently consider pursuing a personal injury case to obtain financial compensation. When this happens, the injured person may wonder “How much is my personal injury case worth?”
The reality is that every case is unique. It is impossible to know up front how much a settlement for a personal injury case might be, or if the case will even settle at all.
How much a case could be worth can depend upon a variety of factors, including:
- Legal Merit – Do the facts of the case support a claim of liability?
- Insurance – The amount you may recover for your injuries could be limited by the maximum amount of insurance the Defendant may have.
- Medical Expenses – Cases with higher medical expenses could be worth more if the medical treatment is reasonable and necessary.
- Wage Loss – If your injuries prevent you from going to your job, your wage loss may be reflected in your settlement provided that a doctor ordered you off work.
- Permanency – Permanent injuries that will continue to negatively impact the quality of your life could increase the value of a personal injury case more than temporary injuries.
The complete value of a personal injury case can only be determined by taking all of these factors into account. Essentially, it is a matter of “Before and After”: What was your level of well-being and quality of life before your injury, and what was it after your injury? To evaluate this accurately, you need to complete your medical treatment or reach maximum medical improvement.
For these reasons, you should not compare your case to others you may read about online, and you should be suspicious if an attorney promises you upfront that your case is worth a certain amount. How much your case may be worth depends upon the specific circumstances of your case, and all cases are different.
Maximizing the Value of a Personal Injury Case
While every case is different, how thoroughly you present your losses can influence how much you may recover financially. Only by conveying the totality of your damages can you hope to maximize the value of your case.
With this in mind, it is crucial to retain a knowledgeable attorney who can guide your case towards the best possible outcome, like the personal injury attorneys at GWC Injury Lawyers LLC.
With more than $2 billion recovered in verdicts and settlements, GWC is one of the leading Personal Injury and Workers’ Compensation law firms in Illinois. Our personal injury attorneys have the experience, the determination, the resources, and the reputation necessary to get you and your family the justice you deserve.
Contact GWC today to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation case evaluation with a personal injury attorney. You may call our office at (312) 464-1234 or click here to chat with a representative at any time.<< BACK TO BLOG POSTS