Have you or a loved one become a victim of nursing home abuse?
If you have a loved one who has been abused, neglected, or injured at a nursing home facility, GWC Injury Lawyers can pursue those negligent nursing homes to make sure they are held accountable.
GWC’s Chicago nursing home abuse lawyers have successfully recovered more than $2 BILLION in compensation for our clients, and we will fight to get you the justice that you deserve.
Common Signs Of Nursing Home Abuse
There can be many different ways that residents of nursing homes or elderly care facilities can suffer abuse and neglect.
Unfortunately, many residents are intimidated and/or embarrassed at becoming a victim. As such, they do not speak up for help and in many cases continue to suffer from abuse and mishandling from those workers who are supposed to assist and care for them.
Listed below are some common signs of abuse that you can identify:
- Development of bedsores (pressure sores)
- Poor hygiene
- Emotional isolation
- Open wounds
- Excessive hair loss
- Soiled clothes and/or bedding
- Unusual financial transactions
- Changes in weight
Many Illinois Nursing Homes Are in Poor Condition
There are over 100,000 senior citizens residing in Illinois nursing homes. Sadly, far too many of these facilities are in poor condition. Of the 723 licensed nursing homes in the state, Medicare data has deemed 41.5 percent of them as below average. In the Chicago area alone, 77 of 186 nursing homes rated as below average. In such substandard environments, the potential for elder abuse and neglect is high.
What To Look For In A Nursing Home
Adult children are often tasked with finding a safe and reputable facility to help cater to the needs of their parents or elderly family members when they need assistance in their daily lives.
However, many people do not know what to look for when they are touring eligible nursing home facilities, nor do they know whom to contact to discuss these concerns.
Listed below are a number of indicators that can help identify the quality of a nursing home:
- Is the facility clean?
- Are there any unusual odors?
- Are the grounds well kept?
- Are there handrails along the walls?
- Are there ramps for wheelchairs?
- Are the doors wide enough for a wheelchair?
- Are fire extinguishers easily located?
- Is there adequate heating and cooling?
- Are religious services offered?
- Are regular day trips available?
- Are health and fitness classes offered?
- Are daily activities planned?
- Are there regular meals?
- What is the quality of the food?
- Are special diet options available?
The Staff, Residents, and Administrators
- Are the residents happy?
- Is the atmosphere pleasant?
- Does the staff interact with the residents?
- What is the staff member-to-resident ratio?
- Does the staff speak with the visitors?
- Is the staff friendly?
- Is the staff clean and well presented?
- Have rates increased recently?
- Are the rates competitive?
- What is the billing procedure?
- Is transportation provided?
- Are medical services available?
- What medical plans are accepted?
If possible, it is always a wise choice to have the resident-to-be attend the inspections of each nursing home that you visit.
In the event that your loved one is injured at a facility, contact our Chicago nursing home abuse attorneys today and learn more about your options.
Need Help? Contact Our Chicago Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Today
If you have a loved one who has been abused in a nursing home facility, GWC’s Chicago nursing home abuse lawyers can work to make sure that those negligent parties must be held responsible for their actions.
For more than four decades, our legal professionals have been fighting for the rights of the injured and have helped to recover more than $2 BILLION in compensation for our clients.
Our entire staff is dedicated to the pursuit of justice and, as one of the leading personal injury law firms in Illinois, we have the experience and resources to fully litigate your claim.
Our Chicago personal injury lawyers proudly serve nursing home injury and abuse victims throughout Illinois, including in:
- Burr Ridge
- Oak Park
- Forest Park
- Elmwood Park
- River Grove
Directions to our Chicago Office
We Win Cases
Settlement – A laborer suffered extensive burns over 80% of his body..
Free Case Evaluation
Fill out the form to receive a FREE, no-obligation case evaluation.