On January 1, 2016 the Nursing Home Care Act went into effect. This law aims to protect nursing home patients by allowing cameras and audio recording devices to be installed in resident rooms.
Peace of Mind for Families
More than 76,000 Illinois citizens reside in nursing homes across the state. Each year, the Illinois Department of Public Health investigates around 100 valid complaints of abuse taking place in nursing home settings.
Lawmakers hope that the Nursing Home Care Act will provide family members with peace of mind, as they will now be able to use recordings to confirm the proper care of their loved ones.
Should their loved ones fall victim to nursing home abuse, the recordings can be used as evidence to assist families in dispute resolution.
Details of the Nursing Home Care Act
The Nursing Home Care Act ensures that:
- Audio or video monitoring equipment can be installed in resident rooms, with the consent of the resident and any roommates.
- Residents or their caregivers are responsible for purchasing, installing and maintaining the devices.
- Nursing homes may not retaliate against residents because they have chosen to use such devices.
- Recordings obtained by the monitoring devices can be used as evidence for lawsuits, both criminal and civil, as well as administrative affairs.
- Tampering, obstructing, or destroying the monitoring devices or their recordings carries misdemeanor and felony penalties.
Violations Already Being Prosecuted
Only 11 days after the law went into effect, a lawsuit was filed regarding violations to the act.
On January 11, 2016, a claim was filed against a Cook County nursing home by the estate of a former resident, alleging that the injuries she suffered while under the nursing homes care contributed to her premature death.
If someone you love has been injured due to nursing home abuse or negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. The attorneys at Goldberg Weisman Caro will work tirelessly to maximize the amount of compensation your family receives.<< BACK TO BLOG POSTS