Truck accidents, especially those that involve large semi-trailers, are some of the most destructive events on the road. They cause more than 130,000 injuries annually across America. Truck accident injuries may be extreme. They may include brain damage, loss of limbs, paralysis, and sometimes death. Approximately 5,000 truck crashes result in death each year in the United States, but even non-fatal truck injuries can be devastating – physically, emotionally, and financially – a fact that we at GWC Injury Lawyers know far too well.
For over four decades, GWC’s Burr Ridge truck accident lawyers have helped thousands of injured people maximize their settlements and verdicts. GWC’s semi-trailer accident attorneys promise to work tirelessly to put your life back on track if you are injured in a truck accident. It is our passion to help you get the justice you deserve.
At GWC, we have recovered more than $2 billion for our clients. We believe our record speaks for itself, and many of our clients agree. In fact, they routinely recommend us to their friends and family because they have seen firsthand how dedicated our Burr Ridge truck accident lawyers were when working on their own cases.
Contact GWC today to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation case evaluation with an attorney if you have been hurt in a truck accident. Please call our office at (312) 464-1234 or click here to chat with a representative at any time.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
As with other types of traffic crashes, truck accidents may occur for any number of reasons. However, the design and function of commercial trucks make them uniquely vulnerable to certain problems. Some common causes of truck accidents may include the following:
- Wide Turns – Large trucks need additional room to complete turns. Very often, the driver of a truck might use more than one lane of traffic when turning, placing unsuspecting passenger vehicles at risk.
- Extended Stopping Time – Because of their weight, trucks typically require additional time to come to a stop, often leading to rear-end crashes that may inflict serious injuries.
- Jackknifing – Semi-trailers may jackknife if they come to a sudden stop because their loads can shift, which can force nearby vehicles into an accident.
- Sleepiness – Falling asleep at the wheel is a worry for any driver, but when a large truck is involved, it can lead to catastrophic injuries. Because truck drivers typically spend more time driving and sleep less than other drivers, they are more prone to sleepiness, which can place them and other on the road at risk.
- Drug Use – With their long driving hours and corresponding sleepiness, truckers often take stimulants to stay awake. Whatever energy these stimulants provide is frequently followed by extreme sleepiness that can cause serious traffic accidents.
- Rollovers – Because of their size and the way weight is distributed within them, trucks and SUVs have a higher tendency to roll over. When a truck rollover happen, other drivers who come into contact with the truck can suffer serious injuries.
- Tire Blowouts – If a truck’s tire treads get worn or old, there may be a tire blowout. As a result, the truck may fishtail, flip, roll over, become airborne, or stop suddenly, which could inflict serious damage on other vehicles.
- Unsecured Loads – If a truck’s cargo loads or equipment are not secured appropriately, they may fall from the vehicle, creating road debris that may put others in danger.
Given how often truck accidents can occur and the severity of the injuries they may inflict, it is essential for the victims of truck accidents to have somebody who will fight on their behalf. At GWC, we will not give up until we achieve the best possible results for your case. For a no-cost consultation with a Burr Ridge truck accident lawyer, call our office at (312) 464-1234 or click here to chat with a representative.
Call GWC toll-free
Live Chat available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.