Truck accidents, particularly ones involving large semi-trailers, can be among the most destructive events on the road, leading to over 130,000 injuries every year in the United States. These injuries are often extreme – brain damage, paralysis, loss of limbs, and even death. About 5,000 American truck crashes end in death annually, but even non-fatal truck injuries can be physically, emotionally, and financially devastating, something we at GWC Injury Lawyers know all too well.
For more than four decades, the Chicago truck accident lawyers at GWC have helped thousands of injured clients obtain the largest settlements and verdicts possible. Our family of semi-trailer injury attorneys will work tirelessly to help you get your life back on track if you are hurt in a truck accident. It is not just our profession: it is our passion to help you get the justice you deserve.
At GWC, where we have recovered more than $2 billion for our clients, we think our record speaks for itself. Many clients agree, and they frequently recommend us to their friends and family because they know firsthand how hard our Chicago truck accident lawyers worked on their own cases.
Contact GWC today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation with an attorney if you have been injured in a truck accident. You may call our office at (312) 464-1234 or click here to chat with a representative at any time.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
Truck accidents can occur for a number of reasons, just as with other types of crashes. Nevertheless, the unique design and function of large commercial trucks make them susceptible to certain risks and vulnerabilities. Some common causes of truck accidents may include the following:
- Wide Turning – Large trucks require additional room when turning. Frequently, a truck driver may use more than one lane of traffic to make a turn, sometimes crushing unsuspecting passenger vehicles in the process.
- Extended Stopping Time – Trucks generally need more time to stop, often leading to rear-end crashes that can inflict especially devastating injuries because of their size.
- Fatigue – Falling asleep at the wheel is a concern for any motorist, and when a large truck is involved, catastrophic injuries can occur. Given the amount of time they spend driving, commercial truck drivers typically sleep less than other drivers – about 4.8 hours per night, according to one study – so they are more prone to fatigue, placing themselves and others in danger.
- Substance Abuse – Because of these long driving hours and the corresponding fatigue, many truckers use stimulants to keep themselves awake, sometimes even illegal ones. The short bursts of energy these stimulants may provide are all too often followed by sudden “crashes” – both in alertness and on the highway.
- Jackknifing – Semi-trailers can jackknife if their loads shift when they come to a sudden stop. If they do, there may be few options for nearby vehicles to avoid an accident.
- Rollovers – The size of a truck and the way in which the weight is distributed inside it can contribute to unstable conditions, making it uniquely vulnerable to rollovers. (SUVs also have a similar tendency.) When truck rollovers happen, passing motorists can suffer the brunt of any injuries that may occur.
- Unsecured Loads – If equipment or cargo loads are not properly secured, they can shift or fall from a truck, creating an obstacle course of debris for other vehicles that may place innocent people in harm’s way.
- Blowouts – When the tire tread on a truck becomes old or worn, a blowout can result, leading to a loss of control that may cause the truck to fishtail, flip, go airborne, roll over, or stop abruptly, which could inflict significant damage on others.
Given the frequency of truck accidents and the seriousness of the injuries they leave in their wake, it is important that their innocent victims have somebody to fight for them. At GWC, we will stop at nothing to get you the best results possible, both inside and outside of the courtroom. To schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a Chicago truck accident lawyer, call our office at (312) 464-1234 or click here to chat with a representative.
Call GWC toll-free
Live Chat available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.