Lawrence Ruder is a senior litigation partner at the law offices of Goldberg Weisman Cairo. He is an accomplished trial attorney and has recovered millions of dollars in his 34-year career. His recent settlement of $8.8 Million for a Hispanic landscaper who suffered traumatic brain injury when hit by a school bus is but one example of his success.
Mr. Ruder is a member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association and sits on its Board of Managers. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice (Products Liability Committee), the Illinois State Bar Association, The Chicago Bar Association, The Lake County Bar Association (Civil Trials & Appeals Committee). He is also an invited member of the prestigious Society of Trial Lawyers and Leading Lawyers Network.
Highly regarded by his peers, Mr. Ruder has been awarded Martindale Hubbell’s AV-Pre-eminent rating (Bar and Judiciary), its highest ranking for legal ability and adherence to ethical standards in the legal profession; a recognition given to less than 9 per cent of attorneys nationwide. And, he has consistently been included in The National Trial Lawyers list of Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
Mr. Ruder is also extremely committed to serving the underprivileged and immigrant communities. He has proudly sponsored the Ruder Scholarship for Hispanic Law Students. And, for the past 14 years, he has provided pro bono legal counsel and assistance at The Most Blessed Trinity Parish in Waukegan and at St. Gall Parish in Chicago.
- $8.8 Million (Settlement): Hispanic landscape worker suffered traumatic brain injury when hit by a school bus.
- $5 Million (Gross Jury Verdict): 28 year old Malian girl struck and killed by speeding semi-tractor trailer.
- $3 Million (Settlement): Wrongful death of 50 year old woman killed by speeding motorist on interstate in Missouri.
- $2.85 Million (Settlement): A four-year-old girl was prematurely discharged from the ER and died from an undiagnosed bowel obstruction.
- $2.6 Million (Settlement) Construction Workers injured when fell from scaffold.
- $2 Million (Jury Verdict): Wrongful death of 24 year old Honduran man killed by speeding police squad in Waukegan, Illinois.
- $2 Million (Settlement): Amputation of left arm of Hispanic painter returning home from a job site.
- (Confidential Settlement): Death of 31 year old driver who struck the rear of semi-tractor trailer illegally parked on the road.
- $1.45 Million (Settlement): Carpet cleaner suffered severe complications after back surgery as a result of medical malpractice by his surgeon. Hospital paid $750,000 for its own corporate negligence.
- $1.375 Million (Settlement): Leg injury suffered by ironworker injured during construction of pedestrian walkway at the Art Institute in Chicago.
- $1.3 Million (Settlement): Apprentice electrician suffered mild traumatic brain injury in car crash while on way to work site.
- $1.25 Million (Settlement-6 months after incident): Wrongful death of a US Postal worker struck by car at 11p while walking to post office to begin night shift.
- $1.03 Million (Gross Jury Verdict): ER nurse suffered severe ankle fractures when struck by car while riding her motorcycle to begin shift at hospital.
- $897,000 (Jury Verdict-Record in McHenry County): Sheet metal worker with severe pre-existing back condition rear ended by school bus. Loss of trade.
- Closing Argument Forum Selection: The Art and The Law, see 404.55:
- Cyclopedia of Trial Practice, Proof of Traumatic Injuries, see 42:
- Trial Journal of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Winter 2006:
- Trial Journal of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Summer 2008:
- Trial Journal of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Summer 2010:
Press & Media
- FOX News Chicago, Fall 2010:
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, May 19, 2010:
- Northwest Herald, March 18, 2011:
- NBC Chicago, August 24, 2011:
- CBS Chicago, September 22, 2011:
- Press Release, January 25, 2012:
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, February 1, 2012:
- CBS Chicago, April 26, 2012:
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, May 9, 2012:
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Member (by invitation): Leading Lawyers Network -Member (by invitation): Society of Trial Lawyers
- American Association for Justice
- The National Trial Lawyers
- Lake County Bar Association (Civil Trials and Appeals Committee)
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association-Board of Managers (Product Liability and Civil Practice committees)
- John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1980
- University of Illinois, B.A., 1976